The ERS Tobacco Control Committee
The ERS Tobacco Control Committee (TCC) coordinates ERS activities on tobacco control at every level. The Committee works with professionals working on the frontline in hospitals, clinics and universities; at the European level with an office to monitor tobacco control; and at the international level through global conferences and membership of organisations such as the Framework Convention Alliance. The Committee has developed strong partnerships with cancer and heart organisations and imposed a strict code of conduct for relations with the tobacco industry.
The specific objectives of the Tobacco Control Committee are to:
- promote awareness of the evidence that links tobacco consumption with respiratory disease to policymakers;
- encourage Member States to implement smoking cessation in accordance with the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) Articles 14 and 12;
- encourage Member States to implement the FCTC Articles 8 and 14 across Europe.
- Committee Chair (Charlotta Pisinger)
- Chair of Group 6.3 (Sofia Ravara)
- Head of Assembly 6 (Christer Janson)
- ELF representative (Isabel Saraiva)
- ERS Education representative (To be announced)
- Two ERS members with expertise in tobacco control, appointed by the Executive Committee from the general membership (Constantine Vardavas and Filippos Filippidis)
- Advocacy Council Chair (Christina Gratziou)
- Chair-Elect of the Advocacy Council (Ildiko Horvath)
- ERS Executive Director (Werner Bill) as an observer
- ERS expert in the field for specific tasks of limited duration - Nina Godtfredsen
- Providing accessible research and evidence to policymakers regarding the health hazards of smoking as part of the SmokeHaz project.
ERS Latin America Working Group on Tobacco Control
The Latin America Working Group (LAWG) was created in 2015 as part of the ERS Tobacco Control Committee, in order to strengthen our tobacco related activities in Latin American countries as well as in Spain and Portugal.
The main objectives of the LAWG are to:
- promote education and advocacy in tobacco control among the different Latin American and Iberian countries;
- produce relevant publications on crrent tobacco control issues;
- organise joint scientific activities on tobacco control.
The LAWG has completed its work on two reports looking at prevalence, morbidity, mortality, prevention and tobacco control in Latin American and Iberian countries. The reports, available below, will be launched on Monday 27th March 2017 in Madrid
- Tobacco Control in Latin American and Iberian Countries Volume 1: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Spain, Portugal, Uruguay EN ES PT
- Tobacco Control in Latin American and Iberian Countries Volume 2: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru EN ES
- Tobacco Control recommendations for Iberian and Latin American Countries EN ES