ERS award winners announced ahead of the ERS International Congress 2020
5 August, 2020
The European Respiratory Society (ERS) is pleased to announce the ERS award winners for 2020.
Each year, ERS presents a number of prestigious awards to recognise the achievements of a select group of leaders in the field of respiratory medicine.
The top awards and their winners for this year are:
- ERS Presidential Award Presented to Richard Casaburi in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the strengthening of respiratory medicine worldwide. Read more
- ERS Congress Chair Award Presented to Andrew Bush in recognition of his contribution to research and training in respiratory medicine. Read more
- ERS Gold Medal in Asthma (sponsored by AstraZeneca) Presented to Sebastian Johnston in recognition of his outstanding contribution to research in the field of asthma. Read more
- ERS Gold Medal in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim) Presented to Dave Singh in recognition of his outstanding contribution to research in the field of COPD. Read more
- ERS Gold Medal in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (sponsored by CSL Behring) Presented to Greet Van den Berghe in recognition of her outstanding contribution to research in the field of ARDS. Read more
- ERS Gold Medal in Interstitial Lung Disease (sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim) Presented to Gisli Jenkins in recognition of his outstanding contribution to research in the field of ILD. Read more
- ERS Educational Award Presented to Monika Gappa in recognition of her extraordinary contribution to education in respiratory medicine at a European and international level. Read more
- ERS Sadoul Lecture Award Presented to Marisa Bonsignore in recognition of her worldwide reputation as a senior scientist. Read more
- ERS Teaching Awards Presented to Marcus J. Schultz, Winfried Randerath and Sofia Schiza in recognition of their contributions to teaching and education in the field of respiratory medicine. Read more
Professor Richard Casaburi, winner of this year's Presidential Award, said:
"Receiving this high honor from the European Respiratory Society seems like an implausible dream. I grew up in a middle class family in New York City. All of my grandparents were born in Europe, but immigrated to the United States at a young age; my parents never visited Europe. But I’ve developed a fascination with all things European. As my scientific career progressed, I never missed a chance to collaborate with European investigators, sightsee Europe’s wonders and seek out my family’s roots. The European Respiratory Society Annual Meeting has long been the professional high point of my year; I’m eager for the resumption of in-person meetings."
Further award categories and their winners are:
- Research Award: Innovation in Non-Tuberculous Mycobacteria Science and Medicine (sponsored by Insmed) Presented to Jennifer Honda. Read more
- Excellence Award for Research in Cystic Fibrosis (sponsored by Vertex) Presented to Marcus Mall. Read more
- ERS Main Award in Novel Research in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (sponsored by Acceleron) Presented to Alice Huertas. Read more
- ERS Assembly Lifetime Achievement Awards Presented to Fabio Midulla (Assembly 7), Dina Brooks (Assembly 9), Gérald Simonneau (Assembly 13), Martine Remy-Jardin (Assembly 14). Read more
- Early Career Member Award Presented to Chris Burtin. Read more
Other results, including scientific sponsored abstract grants, Young Scientist Sponsorships, best abstract winners, HERMES examination award winners and LSC award winners have also been announced.