This course is designed to provide an overview of the physiological basis of cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET). Prior to the online session, participants will have the opportunity to review relevant online learning modules in order to ensure that they are familiar with the specialist terminology and concepts used throughout the live online session. The learning modules are structured around the following topics:
- Physiological responses to CPET
- Physiological limitations to CPET
- Equipment and methods.
- Panel discussion
- Case presentations
The target audience will be specifically the beginners. However, experts who want to refresh their knowledge are welcome.
- Respiratory physiologists
- Respiratory therapists
- Nurses dealing with CPET
- Trainees in the above specialities
Following this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the physiological significance of cardiopulmonary response profiles, in the context of exercise protocols
- Describe the typical response profiles observed in patients with different cardio-respiratory diseases
- Discriminate between “typical” from “anomalous” response profiles that can cause misinterpretation of test results.
- Evaluate the effects of therapeutic interventions.