Pleural malignancies represent common thoracic oncological challenges for clinicians in daily practice, be it making the correct diagnosis or finding the best therapeutic options. This online series will test the audience’s knowledge with tricky case presentations provided by experienced experts in this field. Good diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to solve different clinical scenarios will be provided.
An application will be made to European Board for Accreditation in Pneumology (EBAP) for CME accreditation of this event. The number of credits that you will receive corresponds to your attendance to the online sessions.
- Thoracic surgeons
This online course will consist of 7 sessions of 1 hour each, which will delve into illustrative cases.
The course will address the following topics:
- malignant pleural mesothelioma
- pleural manifestation of lung cancer or other solid tumours
- asbestos-related pleural manifestations
- benign pleural tumours
- general but also disease-specific diagnostic and therapeutic strategies and techniques
Following this course, participants will
- To understand the range of causes of malignant perfusion, and their different presentations
- To appreciate the different diagnostic strategies, including the risks and benefits, of aspiration cytology, plural biopsy via blinding guided techniques, surgical biopsies and medical thoracoscopy
- To review the evidence behind pleural fluid control strategies, including relatives risks and benefits of talc pleurodesis, pleural aspiration, indwelling pleural catheters and surgical techniques
- To appreciate and the specific diagnostic and treatment requirements in mesothelioma related pleural disease
- To understand the importance of imaging including CT, chest x-ray and ultrasound in the diagnosis and management of malignant effusion
- To appreciate the importance of a rational diagnostic pathway based on published evidence