As the European Respiratory Society (ERS) continues to stand in solidarity with Ukraine, it has taken the difficult decision to action several temporary suspensions, which affect both Russian national society partnerships and individuals with Russian/Belarussian affiliations. In addition, ERS has committed to creating a fund to offer financial support to Ukraine.
The decisions to action suspensions were not taken lightly and were subject to a thorough process, which took into consideration advice from the ERS Ethics and Integrity Committee before being voted on by the ERS Executive Committee. All steps were taken to ensure a fair voting system took place, without bias or influence. The following actions are implemented according to a clear majority vote and will be applied with immediate effect.
- Collaboration with the Russian national respiratory society are suspended.
- Individuals with Russian or Belarussian affiliations/members of the Russian Respiratory Society are still permitted to attend ERS events, but they may not actively participate as faculty or abstract presenters.
- Individuals with Russian or Belarussian affiliations/members of the Russian Respiratory Society are suspended from participating in ERS activities such as Clinical Research Collaborations and ERS Task Forces.
- Individuals with Russian or Belarussian affiliations/members of the Russian Respiratory Society are suspended from applying for ERS funding opportunities such as fellowships, sponsorship, and awards and grants.
- Individuals with Russian or Belarussian affiliations/members of the Russian Respiratory Society are currently not permitted to hold an official officer role within ERS.
All suspensions are temporary and will be reviewed regularly as the situation progresses.
As a society which aims to bring together the respiratory community with an overarching goal of improving respiratory healthcare, we apply these suspensions with great sadness, but we send a clear and unified message – we condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and will stand in solidarity with Ukraine whilst it continues.