Taking place on 7 June, this ERS Vision Live panel discussion focused on the management of sarcoidosis.
The expert panellists discussed key areas, including:
- Difficult issues in the management of cardiac sarcoidosis,
- who should be treated in sarcoidosis: risk stratification and quality of life issues,
- and finally, treatment regimens in sarcoidosis: what to choose and related issues.
Prof. Athol Wells
- Athol Wells trained in New Zealand before moving to the Brompton Hospital initially as a research fellow before taking up his current post 23 years ago as a clinician leading in ILD.
- He has broad ILD research interests covering clinical science (including diagnosis and prognostic evaluation) and translational research.
- He has over 530 publications on Medline and is a member of the Fleischner Society and president Elect of the World Association of Sarcoidosis
Prof. Elisabeth Renzoni
- Elizabeth Renzoni is an ILD specialist working at the Brompton Hospital.
- Her key clinical interests include sarcoidosis, idiopathic and connective tissue disease associated ILD, hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Her key research interests include prognostic and outcome biomarkers in lung fibrosis across ILD entities.
- She has participated in several recent clinical practice guidelines and is an Associate Editor for Respirology.
Dr. Vasilis Kouranis
- Vasilis Kouranos is a consultant respiratory physician at the Royal Brompton Hospital and honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College, London.
- He is actively involved in clinical research and part of his research activities he has co-designed and participated as principal investigator in clinical trials in treatment of pulmonary and cardiac sarcoidosis.
- He has great experience in management of patients with sarcoidosis, interstitial lung disease and pulmonary fibrosis.
Dr. Marlies Wijseenbeek
- Marlies Wijsenbeek is chair of the Erasmus MC multidisciplinary Centre of Interstitial Lung Diseases and Sarcoidosis (ILDS); a national expert centre and member of the European Reference Network based at the Erasmus University Medical Centre, Netherlands.
- Her research interests include patient-centred outcome measures in ILDS, e-health, and new therapies in pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis.
- She is chair of the ERS Group 12.01 and associate editor of the European Respiratory Journal
Dr. Dominique Valeyre
- Dominique Valeyre is Professor emeritus of Pulmonology in the University Paris Sorbonne Nord and a pulmonologist in the Hôpital Saint Joseph, in Paris, France.
- He is involved in research on sarcoidosis and interstitial lung disease and was the co-chair of the recent ERS-TF clinical practice guidelines on treatment of sarcoidosis.