ERS Governance and Transparency
As a not-for-profit organisation, independence and integrity are at the heart of everything the European Respiratory Society (ERS) does. This vision is achieved through strict governance principles, codes of conduct and transparency regulations.
ERS is a non-profit organisation. Its governance and management are laid down in its statutes comprising:
Notable amendments to the ERS Constitution and By-Laws 2020–2021
- ERS’s commitment to gender equality and diversity has been formally added to the constitution.
- Details regarding the processes for entering or leaving the ERS membership are to be simplified.
- The ERS Ethics and Integrity Committee must also include a patient representative and the ERS staff representative is not permitted to be a head of department or member of the executive staff.
- The declaration of interests statement has been farther specified to prohibit the publication of work/papers that is associated with funding from the tobacco industry as well as the industries behind alternative nicotine delivery products such as e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products.
- Several changes to the ERS Assemblies and Groups - read more
ERS is committed to being transparent in all its activities. All ERS officers and members of the Society’s committees, working parties and sub - committees complete an annual Declaration of Interest (DoI), which is published on our website or can be requested for consultation.
Visit the leadership page to view conflict of interest forms for the current executive officers.
Codes of conduct
ERS also operates within a number of established codes of conduct
- ERS framework for collaboration and interaction with industry partners
- The Alliance for Biomedical Research in Europe - Code of Conduct for Healthcare professionals and Scientific organisations
- The European Medicines Agency Code of Conduct
- EU Transparency Register
The ERS annual report provides an overview of our achievements and a financial report each year.
- Annual report 2019-2020
- Annual report 2018-2019
- Annual report 2017-2018
- Annual report 2016-2017
- Annual report 2015-2016
- Annual report 2014-2015
- Annual report 2013-2014
Additional information: Funding sources
A number of companies sponsor ERS or ERS activities throughout the year:
Translation of ERS resources
ERS resources may be translated with permission from the Society. Our members and/or contacts can complete our online request form specifying the item(s) they which to translate and for what purpose. The form will then be reviewed and providing those details meet our criteria, translation can proceed. Following that, and for the purpose of quality control, we review the translation and give approval for use. The individual/organisation requesting translation is responsible for full cost of translation of their required items.