Clinical Training Fellowship
ERS Clinical Training Fellowships enable members in the early stages of their careers in respiratory medicine to visit a host institution in a European country other than their own to learn a skill or procedure not available at their home institution. This medical training should benefit the home institution when the successful applicant returns there.
- Standard Clinical Training Fellowship: open to any national. Candidates from any country (Europe or overseas) going to Europe.
- Clinical Training Fellowships for scientifically developing countries: applicants should be based in a scientifically developing country (source World Bank) and going to a country in Europe.
Terms and conditions
- All applicants must be ERS members at the time of application.
- Candidates should be qualified clinicians or healthcare professionals currently employed in respiratory medical practice.
- When applying for a Clinical Training Fellowship it is preferable that the applicant has passed the ERS HERMES examination.
- There is no upper age limit for eligibility; however, preference will be given to applicants who are in the early stages of their career.
- Open to all nationalities and for European and non-European based candidates.
- When applying, candidates must already hold an agreement with the host institution where the fellowship will be carried out.
- Candidates must have adequate fluency in a language that permits effective communication at the host institution.
- On completion of the Fellowship, applicants must return to their home institution to apply the newly acquired skills.
- It is the responsibility of applicants to identify a skill or procedure existing in a potential host institution that can be transferred to the home institution. It is also their responsibility to identify fellowship supervisors in the respective institutions.
- Fellowships will last up to 6 months. Duration may not be reduced or split.
- Fellowships must commence after funding decision dates, allowing for sufficient time to complete travel, visa, passport and housing formalities. The fellowship must be started within one year from the positive notification date.
- The fellowship is to be carried out on a full time basis.
- The total ERS grant amount should cover travel and accommodation costs and provide enough money to live on during the fellowship.
Application documents (cf. Application Guidelines)