This skill-based course is designed to provide practical training in lung function testing, respiratory muscle testing and cardiopulmonary exercise testing followed by implementation of these results into the setting of rehabilitative and physical activity promotion programmes to optimise the functional capacity of patients with breathing disorders. Part of this course is focused on non-invasive ventilation (NIV) treatment and using NIV support during exercise. An application will be made to EBAP for CME accreditation of this event. The number of credits that you will receive corresponds to your attendance during the course. Please note that you need to sign the register of attendance each day to ensure that you receive the CME credits.
An application for accreditation will be made with the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME) and the European Board for Accreditation in Pneumology (EBAP). The number of credits that you will receive corresponds to your attendance during the onsite course. Please note that you need to sign the register of attendance each day to ensure that you receive the CME credits.
- hands-on workshops
- small-group tutorials
- small-group laboratory sessions
Clinicians (MD), pulmonary trainees, research fellows, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, nurses, social workers and carers, healthcare managers, physiologists, and health educators
Following this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess pulmonary and respiratory muscle function.
- Assess exercise capacity, upper and lower limb muscle function.
- Operate devices to support respiratory muscle function and airway clearance with CoughAssist.
- Handle a variety of non-invasive ventilation systems (continuous positive airway pressure, proportional assist ventilation, pressure support ventilation and portable bi-level positive airway pressure support) to support patients at rest and during exercise.
- Assess daily physical activity parameters using activity monitors.
- Implement strategies to enhance physical activity in individuals with lung disease.
- Optimise performance during daily physical activities.
- Design a comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program taking into account patients' abilities and preferences, within a health care system.