Environment and Health Committee
Exposure to indoor and outdoor air pollutants damages the lungs. Environmental policy is a core EU activity and the ERS Environment and Health Committee is an active partner in forming European policy. The Committee supports lower thresholds of acceptable levels of air pollution, stricter enforcement of existing EU legislation, advocates for exposure limits to occupational air pollution at the European level and notes the need for further research to fully understand the impact of particular factors on human health.
To help protect the health of citizens and patients suffering from respiratory diseases, the dedicated Committee:
- advises ERS in all matters regarding the impact of environmental factors on respiratory health;
- provides information on preventing and managing environment-related respiratory disease to respiratory and occupational clinicians and researchers; environmental health researchers; epidemiologists; and toxicologists;
- helps to improve respiratory health in Europe and elsewhere by providing evidence-based recommendations and information to policymakers and the public.
Currently, the Committee is composed of:
- Chair of the Environment and Health Committee - Barbara Hoffmann
- ERS expert in the field - Denis Charpin
- Chair of the Advocacy Council - Jørgen Vestbo
- Head of Assembly 6 - Christer Janson
- ERS Co-opted member- Erik Melén
- ERS Co-opted member - Zorana Andersen
- ERS Co-opted member - Sara De Matteis
- ELF representative - Isabel Saraiva
- ERS Executive Director is an observer.