This course brings together leading experts worldwide to discuss the opportunities but also difficulties in studying the lung microbiome. In particular, this course will provide an introduction to the basic concepts of the lung microbiome field and an overview of state-of-the-art developments.
The course consists of lectures given by renowned experts in the respective fields, followed by interactive workshops where participants will be able to expand their knowledge on study-design, sampling, and data analysis.
The participants will be able to bring their own ‘cases’ and studies to be discussed during these workshops. This will ensure this course will be educational, tailored to the individual, and provide opportunities to share ideas, request feedback, and propose collaborative studies with the faculty.
The Virtual Academy on Lung Microbiome: from study
design to data analysis has been accredited with 12 CME credits by the European Board for Accreditation in Pneumology (EBAP). The number of credits that participants will receive will correspond to the time spent watching the live stream.
- Case presentations, with interactive discussions
Please note that all timings are in Central European Time (CET). Recordings and materials of each session will be made available to registered participants two weeks after the event.
- Lung microbiome in disease
- Host-microbe interactions in the lung
- Therapeutic interventions for lung disease and the microbiome
- Study design
- Data analysis of complex microbiome datasets
Following this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform basic data analysis, including statistics and graphical presentation of microbiome sequencing results.
- Gain important knowledge on the appropriate design of microbiome studies, beyond others the inclusion of negative controls, or power calculations.
- Build a direct network to several leading experts in the field, but also other researchers in the field.
- Basic and translational scientists
Virtual academy fees:
|Early Career ERS Members||€430|
|Industry (ERS Members & non-Members)||€1000|
Registration fees are non-refundable.
Registering for someone else ? Contact email@example.com
A limited number of bursaries are available, which will cover the cost of the registration fee.
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- Under 40 years old
- A member of ERS
Please note that only one bursary may be allocated per person, per calendar year.
To apply, sign in to your myERS account when registering for this course. If you meet the criteria listed above, you will have the option to apply for the bursary at the time of registration.
You will be prompted to complete a digital form as part of the bursary application and to upload your CV. Please complete the form, attach your CV and then submit.
Please note that only completed application forms with an attached CV will be considered.
- Bursary application deadline: 10 October, 2022
- Bursary application notification: 1 November, 2022