This ERS course is designed to provide an overview of the physiological basis of cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET).
An application will be submitted to EBAP (European Board for Accreditation in Pneumology) for CME accreditation of this event. The number of credits that participants will receive will correspond to the time spent viewing the sessions live.
- Introduction to CPET
- The physiological responses to CPET
- The physiological limitations to CPET
- How to run an incremental exercise testing
- How to interpret CPET key variables
- The metabolic response to incremental exercise
- The ventilatory response to incremental exercise
- The cardiovascular response to incremental exercise
- Equipment and methodology
- The metabolic limitation to exercise
- The ventilatory limitation to exercise
- The pulmonary gas exchange and pulmonary vascular limitation to exercise
- The cardiovascular limitation exercise
- Field testing and methods for assessing physical activity
- Small-group tutorials
- Small-group laboratory sessions
- Case presentations
- Panel discussion
Following this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the physiological significance of cardiopulmonary response profiles, in the context of exercise protocols.
- Describe the typical response profiles observed in patients with different cardio-respiratory diseases.
- Discriminate between “typical” from “anomalous” response profiles that can cause misinterpretation of test results.
- Evaluate the effects of therapeutic interventions.
The target audience is primarily beginners in the following groups:
- Respiratory physiologists
- Respiratory therapists
- Nurses dealing with CPET
- Trainees in the above specialties
However, experts who want to refresh their knowledge are welcome to join the course.
Upon receipt of a written cancellation, a refund of fees, minus €50 administrative fee, will be applied up to 6 weeks before the course. After this date no refund will be made for cancellations.
By agreeing to attend this course, you agree to comply with reasonable instructions and safety policies of local host facilities. The organiser does not endorse any hotel, restaurant or other facility which may be recommended. If the course involves patients acting as volunteers, you agree to respect their wishes, dignity and needs.
You may access the General Terms & Conditions at anytime.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org